Thursday 24 July 2014

STORY OF THE HONOUR QUILT

HOW IT BEGAN.....
There is a member of Kilmore Quilters who has done a lot of research into her family history. She has decided to honour her family members and others that are some of the lost souls remembered from WW1 on the honour wall in Kilmore. 
She has designed or chosen already made blocks, stitched them and embroidered their names on her blocks. I am not adding the names. Our quilts will be displayed on ANZAC DAY next year for the RSL's celebration of the 100 years...

It is an emotional journey for her and there are about 30 members making their own quilts. 48 * 6.5" blocks for us to put together any way we want to.

Liz over at http://thevillagequilters.blogspot.com.au writes what we are told about each person every month when she does her blocks.




I am trying to catch up with the Honour blocks being done at Kilmore Quilters group.
Here are last months blocks done ready for me to start on next months.
I don't like being behind so it feels really good to be close to on top of it.
7C.... ALBERT EDWARD KNIGHT

4A.... WILLIAM BROWN

6B.... JAMES NOBLE ROBINSON
This one didn't quite measure up so I added a border all the way around. Now it fits.....

2F...  JOHN CLIFFORD BOWERS
I must have been losing concentration because I did it again.
Another border needed.
I think it is time to pack away before I keep making more silly mistakes.


Have a look at the page HONOUR QUILT 2014 by clicking on the tab at the top of this page. It tells you about the people that Maree has chosen to do a block for that were in the war.




1 comment:

dq said...

These blocks are lovely. I really like the blues you have selected. I will have to do some research to find an ancestor who served in WWI but my grandfather who is still alive today served in WWII. This project interests me.