Friday 25 August 2023

Last weekend. Zoom and sewing

 Hi all.

Last weekend was a busy one for me. Especially after a busy week. Anyway, I love a deadline. My quilt group is having an exhibition next weekend and we had to hand in our challenge last Tuesday night.

We had to make a 3 layered quilt 60*90cm depicting a story book. Hence called, the STORY BOOK CHALLENGE. We have known about this since before last Christmas. I new what I wanted to do just after and I bought the story book in April to help me out. I drafted the pattern but only enlarged it at the beginning of August. Nothing like last minute.

I had a visit from Janice and we had a little discussion about a few things. Janice helped me sort out and idea. It worked. Thanks Janice.

Anyway, last weekend I had to get my challenge made. Chooky called a zoom meeting Friday night which was fantastic. Of course I joined in.  I cleaned my sewing room and I got started. 

Choosing the fabrics for each piece. The red lace zip was an idea Janice helped me with.

Cut out, ironed on and ready for stitching.

Next morning Chooky had a zoom from 6am. I actually made it. I joined in and sewed.

Nearly there

Chooky was only going to do a morning zoom but late afternoon another one was organised. I joined in from 6pm until 10pm. 

I sewed until midnight Saturday night all the appliqué was done


Can you see the zipper pocket put in. This was a bit tricky. I also added a little gusset for the dress pocket so it wasn’t flat.
It worked out really great.
Sunday morning I started to get it quilted.

On to getting the animals made…
Here is where it started.

The first animals are made during zoom.
Now I have them all done.
I have it quilted. Animals made. And now presented for the quilt show judging.
My challenge is completed and I had it labelled and ready for the deadline to hand in to get judged on.
Thanks to everyone for joining in on zoom to help me to keep on sewing and finish my challenge. I really needed your support and keeping me focused. 
It has now been handed in for judging.
Now to wait for next weekend to see the winners.










17 comments:

Denice Barker said...

I was sorry to miss zoom last weekend. I could have told you about the storybook challenge a group near here did. They did exactly what you did, chose a book and made a quilt based on the cover of the book or strong interpretation. Then they displayed them in a library and placed their inspiration book with the hanging quilt. It was really, really the best quilt "show" I've been to. So inspired. Your Old Lady would have been PERFECT for it. She's a delight and the way you handled each animal was wonderful and fun. Good for you!!!

Jenny said...

What a fun quilt you made for the challenge. Nice to see how you approached it and the steps you took. Well done! Bet you are wondering what ideas your quilty friends came up with too.

loulee said...

That is amazing Jo, what a great quilt. Good luck with the competition.

Susan Smith said...

WOW! It's amazing & well done on getting it done that quickly. Hope it does well at the show. Take care & hugs.

Janet O. said...

I saw some of the animals on Zoom, but didn't realize you were doing this book. I love this book, and have read it to grandchildren many a time. You have done a fantastic job of translating it into a fun quilt. I am so impressed with your creativity--and I give a nod to Janice, too, for her consultation. :)

Lin said...

It has finished up beautifully, so glad I got the personal tour of work in progress. Thank you and good luck! xx

Maria said...

The Old Lady and the animals all look amazing Jo … well done and good luck in the challenge.

Karen's Korner said...

So clever. Please share the result with us as well as the other entries.

Susan said...

Fantastic idea - very creative - you would get my Viewers Choice for sure - good luck !!!

Ondrea said...

Woohoo! Well done girl! Looks fantastic. It was good to see you on zoom.

Raewyn said...

What an inspired choice of book to use, Jo and I love the end result - very clever! Well done on such a concerted efforted over the weekend and getting it handed in on time.

Karen S said...

Great way to make the most of your time while on Zoom. Not a bad effort to get it all done in a few days!

Linda said...

What a clever idea! Glad the Zoom meetings inspired you to crack on with your project. Hope you win!

jude's page said...

Fantastic Jo, can't wait to see it!!

Janice said...

What an incredible incredible effort to get it completed in time. It has turned out so well.

kiwikid said...

Fantastic challenge Jo and I love your Old Lady, the things she swallowed look amazing too, well done!

Vireya said...

That is just brilliant!