Sunday, 21 May 2017

FNSI on retreat

Wow ,, it's been a while since I have been on here... But I will catch up on  some posts...I joined in with Wendy for FNSI.. I spent it on retreat with about 20 of us happily sewing away with real time friends.

I made great progress on my blocks for March and April.. nearly all caught up..

I thought this block would give me trouble but it went together really well. They are finished 1 1/8th 
Strips... I'm happy with this one...

Here are my Dear Jane blocks I got prepared for the appliqué. I can sit n sew at home of an evening without having to use the machine...
I didn't want to curve piece the centre of this block. I decided to appliqué it instead...

I only have to stitch the centre square under. It is only a one inch square cut out in the centre.

This block has some little curves....

 This block has little melons sewn onto the centre square.

Have a look to see what others got up to.

Wednesday, 10 May 2017

The last of Vicky quilts

Here are the last of the photos of Vicky's quilts. They are all amazing and so inspiring. 
It was a great trunk show.

Vicky loves adding in flanges or piping next to her Bindings. They look very effective. Some she even puts tiny cording in to give more definition...

 This was an old cross stitch supper cloth that had begun to fray. Vicky trimmed it, layered it on fabric and appliquedthe little contrast Tim before doing the beautiful quilting.

 This Dresden Plate quilt looks amazing with this border. It is so effective.

Just love the use of printed fabrics. 

 This was all stitched on one piece of silk fabric and very small.

Monday, 8 May 2017

More Show n Tell from Vicky

Here are some more wonderful quilts. Just look at the beautiful quilting designs...

Saturday, 6 May 2017

FNWF. Free motion quilting

I have finally started quilting my entry into the SPRIING challenge. I had this top nearly completed from a workshop at the Phillip Island Quilters a few years back. So, out it came and I hope to get it finished in time. I have had it out on the table for a few weeks wondering how to quilt it. I found it a bit daunting and kept putting it off. A little bit scared to start I think. Thanks to the inspiration of Vicky Jenkins quilts I jumped right in....
The birds and the blossom flower are spring to me. So let's hope I can quilt it ok. This is a Gina Burgess pattern, Borders with Attitude.
You do basic split 4 patch blocks and add borders. Then you fuse and appliqué whatever patterns you would like. I chose these beautiful soft panels, cut all the birds, flowers and leaves out. Fused them on in different ways. Now the sewing is part of the quilting. Using different weight threads...
It measures less than 1 metre square (about 36")

 1" Grid lines ready for the curved quilting lines..

 There is a bird drawn in ready to quilt

 The drawn on bamboo.

So I am working on this for FNWF. and stitching with many others in cyberland.

Thursday, 4 May 2017

Trunk Show at Lesley Mays....

I booked in to see the beautiful work of talented Vicki Jenkins. She was up here doing some classes on free motion quilting. I could not attend the classes but Show and tell was impressive.  Loads of photos to come. I think they will be spread over a few posts. The photos were taken on my phone and not very close. They aren't the clearest.. but enjoy...

Yes, she loves feathers

 This is the back of the quilt. It is amazing.