Saturday, 4 July 2026

Edited with sock photo. Time to work with some knitting.

 I have wanted to knit some socks for quite a while and have friends make them for me. Many years ago, I’m talking 25 years, I tried using double pointed needles (unsuccessfully). Tossed them aside and didn’t try again. It’s time to put my big girls pants on and try again.

After buying a nice sock book, watching many tutorials and searching google I decided now is the time.

Winwickmum has a knit along for basic socks.

https://www.winwickmum.co.uk/2015/04/sockalong-yarns.html

I bought this yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills. 

I have taken my time and even did a test swatch.



I tried the circular needles, but I just couldn’t manage so I went on to the double pointed needles (DPN). Tossed my surprise I managed and without any holes.

So here is my progress. 


Uploaded Image


I got a little lost when decreasing along the heel so I have put it away until I have time to sort out which row I am doing.


Overall, so far, I am extremely happy.


6 comments:

Lin said...

Well done you for doing a test swatch! No pic of the socks though. xx

Lin said...

Looking great Jo. I think you mean gusset decreasing - I am sure you will get it with a clear mind. Good luck. xx

loulee said...

Go you. I hope you figure out your heel. Lovely yarn too.

Jenny said...

Great work! I felt so intimidated with knitting socks the traditional way that I didn't even try. My socks are knitted flat on two needles, with a side seam. And I can knit two at a time, so no second sock syndrome for me. This way is not the way for everyone but it suits me, so I'm a happy sock knitter. You do know that sock knitting is addictive, don't you?

Janice said...

Go you! I use the tiny 9” circulars, as I find the DPNs confusing, but muddle with them when I get to the toe.

Karen S said...

They are looking great! And isn't this the perfect time for lovely warm socks.