Our quilt group set a challenge this year to make a quilt that has no sides larger than 60”, to be black and white and with only 10% of colour. This took a bit of thinking but about 15 years ago I saw a picture on Pinterest that appealed to me. A friend drew it up for me back then and it has been sitting on the top shelf of my bookcase ever since. The penny dropped and out it came. I had to chop off 6” in length but it worked. Out came the vliesofix and the drawing started.
Then choosing fabrics
Matching fabrics to the patterns.
We have the quilt laid out but not ironed on. I wanted to sew each section slowly. Do 1 seam then match the fusible pieces before sewing the next seam.
All the strips are sewn, the appliqué is done and the eyes are stitched.
Just the right amount of binding
Unfortunately I lost at bobbin chicken
All quilted and bound and it measures 58” long. Phew, I just made it.
I think it fits the brief and after 15 years I still love the design.
On Sunday we held our quilt airing which is located at a local school. The quilts are pegged over the fences and stair rails. Rope is tied between the trees to hang more. These are older used quilts which cannot be put in to our quilt exhibition. It’s just to get them out of the cupboards and air them.
Here are some overall photos.
We had 16 entries into the challenge









1 comment:
Those are some cool cats Jo.
Post a Comment