Saturday 18 April 2020

About time I did a catch up post after being missing in action for 2 weeks.

I know I haven't posted for 2 weeks but here is a catch up.

Well, isn't it a strange time we are all living. Social distancing. I can surely say that there are so many people around that do not understand what this means. 
All I seem to be doing is working (I am one of the lucky ones to still have a job) then coming home exhausted, not seeing anyone and not doing anything during the week. 

I spent the long weekend in March painting some feature walls in my house and hanging picture frames. We have lived here 4 years now and I have only decided what I wanted to do.
My daughter and family were supposed to come up here for a weeks holiday but that's not allowed atm.. so we have to wait. It's very disappointing but we are catching up on facetime. No cuddles with the grandies...

Okay, so it was the EASTER weekend and I spent 2 days catching up on filing, sleeping, cleaning out cupboards, linen press but not my sewing room.
I finally got around to taking some photos and doing some sewing.

I hope you enjoy this catch up and unusual long post from me. Please sit down, relax and enjoy the read.


It was my birthday in early March and at my quilt group we have a swap on. 
I was lucky enough to be given some fat quarters at the end of Feb, well before stay at home social distancing started. These are only half the amount I will receive. I suppose its something to look forward to when we can meet up again, receiving the rest.
Anyway thanks to those who gave these beautiful 1930's fat 1/4's.
I think they might be used in my Farmers Wife quilt.

I have made a few masks and here is my selfie.
I know hairdressers are still working but at this time I do not think they are essential and do not want to be too close to them knowing the amount of people they are in contact with.
So I have to deal with the messy hair...
At least my nose and face are covered if need be..


This is what I ended up making. A total of 15. I have given them out to a few people at work. Not that we have to wear them yet but there are some that want them and I'd like to have them ready.
There are so many free patterns and tutorials around and this was the one I was happy with.
I like the ties because they can fit any size head. The elastic ones would make annoy my ears.



I wanted to sew a little project for a bit of fun.
I had a small strip of QAYG left over from an Aussie Hero quilt ( next post ) and didn't want to throw it away. I also have a big tub of zips. I searched Pinterest and came across a great site with lots of free patterns and tutorials 


Make a cuppa and have a browse
https://thesewingloftblog.com/100-free-zipper-pouch-patterns/

I saw these on a blog a while ago. I thought I would make some for gifts. I already had the shelf liner and of course, plenty of fabric. They were quick and easy to make..


Have a look here.
https://scrapatches.blogspot.com/2014/11/easy-sew-jar-openers.html

I cut them about 6-7" square depending on the size of shelf liner you have. Just cut it to get the most out of the piece. I back it with 2 pieces of fabric so when sewn and turned the seams are enclosed. I have added ribbon for the loop. I can hang one on a hook on my fridge so it can be easily found.
Here is one pictured with a Vegemite jar so you can see the size.



I've finished a few more jar grippers. These are great gifts and not too much to put in the post. I'm happy I've made a great start for the gift box.



I am doing the number draw afor my quilt group. Here is where we are at. I did a short video of the drawing so it could be put on Facebook. I'm not on there so another member put it up for the rest of the group to see. We putit in our newsletter every month so are always a month ahead.



No. 12 APRIL UFO PROJECT is to make 2 BORO bags.
Here is the first one. All the pieces are hand stitched. Now for the bag .


I actually got this project bag finished. Zip an all. Last time I made this pouch I was putting the zip in and I trimmed the size. HAHA, I cut the zipper pull off but not this time. That mistake is embedded in my brain to not do it again.. Here is my number 12 project finished. I did have on my list to get 2 finished in April but I'm not sure of that. I will try and get another Boro piece laid out and start to stitch it of a night. I think I will make it into a smaller bag.



I am so glad it is the weekend. I have had such a busy week at work but I cannot complain ... at least I still have a job. I am looking forward to a sleep in, some sewing and some good food.

We have not been allowed to eat out for a while and I was getting sick of the usual sandwiches so today I had a bit of fun. I put together a beautiful platter that I enjoyed very much. I called it my isolation, social distancing and celebrating life lunch. Boy did I enjoy it.



Now I am in the mood for some sewing.

I have had my Bookcase quilt blocks up on my wall for months now. It's about time I got started with something to get them finished but I didn't know how I wanted it to look. Finally an idea has come to mind so a rearrange happened. Of course that meant I need to make some more blocks. I'm doing that at the same time as I sew the rows together with the new layout. All I need to do is figure out where the book title selvages will be placed.

I have started to put the book titles on some books using selvages. There is also a book bark added to one.
I split some blocks and added black to each side so the shelves weren't over crowded. 
2 rows joined and looking good.
Hopefully I'll get some more done tomorrow as I sit and listen to an audio book.

QATW April UFO challenge was no 1. -- My Bookcase quilt...

This is the link to QATW.

Hopefully I can get a post done about the AUSSIE Hero quilt & Laundry Bag I have completed and posted off.

KEEP A DISTANCE, WASH YOUR HANDS, STAY HOME & KEEP SAFE...

12 comments:

Maria said...

Enjoyed reading your catch up post..
You received some lovely FQs for your B/D. You can never have too many.
You've keep yourself busy sewing masks and things for the gift box.
Good job working on your BORO bag .. Pleased you didn't cut the tag of the next zipper..
Your lunch does look delicious...
The Bookshelf quilt will be a fabulous quilt...

Vireya said...

I hope you are enjoying your well-deserved weekend.

The hexie pouch is lovely!

Sheila said...

Wow, you sure have been busy along with working , lots of great projects . Stay safe .

kiwikid said...

I enjoyed tour catch up post too. Good to see you are busy at work and at home, lots of interesting things there you are sewing. Love your bookcase blocks, it will be a stunning quilt. Your Boro piece looks great and so does the pouch, happy to hear the zip pull is still there!! 😁. Your lunch looks amazing.

jacaranda said...

Lovely to see what you have been doing. Your lunch is certainly a nice change to a sandwich.

CathyC said...

:) belated birthday wishes - a wonderful selection of Fat 1/4s - Love the red shoes LOL
Loved seeing your various projects and your bookcase quilt will be stunning!
take care and stay safe <3

Jenny said...

Whew, quite a busy old time you are having, work, lots of stitching too. It's sad about missing the family get togethers, but at least with phones and internet everyone can keep in touch. No caravan trips for us here, this Easter was the first time ever we have stayed home. Keep well keep safe, and great to read your catch up blog.

Pamela Arbour said...

Wow, you had a lot of accomplishments in the last two weeks. Thanks for sharing everything!

Linda said...

Good to read your blogpost. You sound very busy, glad you still have a job. The birthday FQs are great, also the masks and all the projects you have on the go. I agree, we are living in very strange times. Our lockdown looks as though it may go on for a very long time for people in my age group, rather a depressing thought so I’m trying to concentrate on each day as it comes, trying a few new recipes (missing going out for meals), a little sewing but I’m finding it hard to concentrate, a little gardening, but finding I tire quickly. In fact, generally feeling unsettled. I do really enjoy my daily walk with my husband, especially as we have been blessed with beautiful weather, Spring flowers and blossom trees.

Preeti said...

A very detailed post, Jo. It kinda makes up for your two week absence. I made mine with ties too cause I had no elastic :-( but then yes they are more adjustable (and less painful) than elastic. Hugs from a safe distance away. Your lunch made me hungry :-)

dq said...

Wow! There is so much to comment on. I love your bookshelf quilt! I also really enjoyed the platter of food you put together. Watching what I eat during this pandemic has not been happening - ugh! I have eaten a gazilion homemade chocolate chip cookies because one batch is very large. I down them as long as have milk to dip them in.

It sounds like you are very busy but well. I am so happy to hear that!

Mari said...

It's so good to hear from you. You've been really busy! I love the bookcase quilt, and the masks are quite cheerful. If you have to have one, it might as well be cute. Your lunch looks yummy, too. Looking forward to restaurants again. . .Stay safe!