Sunday 16 August 2020

No MOJO - has broken - Catch up - ZOOM - progression - (PHOTO HEAVY) ....grab a drink, you'll need it

WOW, what a couple of months we have had adjusting to changes in restrictions for COVID-19. Into stage 3, out of stage 3, Melbourne in stage 4, back to stage 3. Border lock downs, wearing of masks but the good thing I am happy about is that I still can attend work...

I just want to share with you that it has been 4 years today that we moved to Mildura. 
Hasn't that gone fast.

Now for the catch up.....
Today we had a Zoom party with Chooky where about 20 ladies attended throughout the day.
They were from the USA, Canada, New Zealand all over Australia and others I wasn't present for. While everyone was chatting away I actually did some sewing. Something I haven't done for many weeks.
I was quilting some baby quilts for a friend & as they were small it wasn't too hard.
They measured 2 of 125*150 & 1 of 125*125. 

A while back I sent these QAYG blocks & knitted beanies off to Jan Mac. She supports & donates to many charities. Peter mac hospital, bush fire appeals and many others.

 

Then because of all the new Covid cases and restrictions where it is compulsory in Victoria to wear masks work asked me to leave the office and head off down to the manufacturing warehouse and help the machinist with mask making for the day. We needed 200 masks to supply every worker with 2 within 4 days. So of course i helped as well as take some home to make over the weekend.






Then it was time to make masks for my friends and family. I had this underwear elastic that was my mums. It came in very handy as everywhere had sold out so this is what was used. It is actually softer to wear behind the ears than ordinary elastic. I made about 100 masks. I am over them now

 










Next - the other Saturday Chooky had another Zoom party & I stopped by for a very short time.I was still in my pj's and sitting under a warm quilt that I have been hand quilting on. I haven't done any for a while but I did get to do some that afternoon.






I also worked on a crochet and a knitted blanket  


Its time for the baby quilts I quilted today....
Well this one I had already started and just finished today
No.... 1 all quilted ready for my friend to do the binding
quilted with baptist fans
IT STARTED OUT ALL WRONG .. I kept making mistakes and doing the start point on the fans all wrong and this needed to be unpicked.
Overlapping fans are gone and now the stitching is better.
stippled around the stitcheries

No. 2..... Then there was the black & white sheep panel. Echo quilted to look like clouds..



And no. 3 - A simple little squares, Quilted cross hatched diagonally.
So bright & fresh


Lastly, This is where i got up to with all the tea bag strings I had. It measures about 3 feet long.
 As I sit here tonight I have been tying tea bag strings to work more on my scarf. I received some from Sue in the mail. As well as collecting them at work.

This ball measures about the size of a golf ball. Lets see how far it knits.

Okay.. That's it for now.

i have turned on the laptop. Battled with the new Blogger. Attached many photos.
if you have got to this WELL DONE.

Hopefully this post works and stays where it supposed to.

I'm not sure what will happen if I delete the photos from my computer but time will tell. As I cant post on my iPad at the moment it is all a learning curve.

Thanks to everyone for getting this far, checking up on me and especially for the great chats today.

18 comments:

jude's page said...

Great to see you at Chooky's zoom. Well done making all those masks. I haven't done any yet, and so hoping SA won't have to wear them, although that may be wishful thinking? Good finishes for the baby quilts. And amazing, knitting with tea bag strings. I have some fine macrame string here, would that be of any use?

Jenny said...

Cute little baby quilts, they are a,ways fun to make, aren't they. You have turned into a mask making factory, both at work and home! Well done.

jacaranda said...

Jo, enjoyed reading and seeing what you have been doing, have missed reading your posts. You certainly have been busy. Fabulous quilts.

kiwikid said...

It was wonderful to see you at Chookys zoom gathering yesterday. Sow younhave been so busy with mask making, that was a lot to make in a short time for work. The baby quilts look wonderful and all your mask made at home are great too. Saving the strings again for the next ball 😁😁

dq said...

Masks, masks, masks, and more masks! You are amazing and compassionate JO!

I love the little embroidered baby quilt you finished! The quilting is beautiful.

It is great to have you back in blogland

Mari said...

It's so nice to "see" you again, Jo. I was wondering how you have been doing. Here in my area we are still locked down and now my university has moved to all online teaching, so we will be working from home for several more months. Your Baptist fans look great, so all the ripping was well worth it. I am over the masks, too, but they are keeping us safer. Your sewing mojo will come back, just give it time. I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy.

Terry said...

Oh I LOVE the underwear elastic! It makes the masks a bit more decorative! lol

Vireya said...

Wow, you have been busy! Lucky having all that underwear elastic on hand.

Denice Barker said...

Sorry I missed you over the weekend at Chooky's. Maybe next time! The tea bag strings still fascinate me and I'm really impressed with how much you got done. This is a project I tell people about all of the time and they all think you are starved for something to do. I assure them otherwise but wow!

Linda said...

Well done for making all those masks, they look pretty. The baby quilts are lovely. Glad you are back sewing and blogging. That 4 years has gone quickly!

Jindi's Cottage said...

It was great seeing and sewing with you again on Sunday...you are the Master Mask Maker, I can see why you are over them!...stay safe...

Chookyblue...... said...

It sure has restored some sewing time doing the zoom sewing. Wonderful to meet you and the other girls. I'm still working also its insanely busy though. So that's taking its toll also. It's been my sanity breaks and I've actually got heaps done.
The baby quilts are beautiful. I need to drink a few chips of tea so I can have a couple of strings in there.....

Christine M said...

You have been busy, Jo. The baby quilts are lovely. xx

Maria said...

Catching up on blog reading.....
You sure have made many masks and the nicker electric seems to work well.
Pretty baby quilts you've worked on and the tea bag string scarf is growing .must send you the ones I've collected...
The Zoom GTG is always great .

Karen's Korner said...

Those baby quilts are just soooooo cute. Great job on the masks....I can see why you are over them.

Janice said...

Wow, that’s a lot of masks. No wonder you are over them. The baby quilts have turned out really well I’m sure your friend will be pleased with them. I love the spidery texture of your strings scarf and can’t believe how far you have progressed. Here’s hoping we can all join in a Zoom get together again before too long.

Preeti said...

Well, I needed two drinks to get through this picture-laden post. Who knew that underwear elastic would be a coveted commodity in these Covid times? I made a dozen masks and I am done. Fortunately folks can buy them everywhere now. So much loveliness and cuteness in your studio, it was totally worth the long read :-)

Linda said...

Glad to see your blogpost. I can understand your loss of mojo, we are living in such weird times. I have so missed meeting friends at the two Patchwork Groups I belong to. We are now going to try to meet again at each other’s houses, a maximum of 4 ladies plus the host. That arrangement complies with the social distancing regulation and also the maximum of six meeting together from multiple households which comes into effect tomorrow. Love the two baby quilts you quilted for your friend. And all that mask making! Well done Jo.
PS Can’t believe you moved to Milburn 4 years ago - where has that time gone?