Wednesday 28 December 2022

Machine quilting.

 I have had my bookcase basted for the whole year.

 I did a swap with the QATW girls for these blocks. It was started in 2019 and the top put together in 2020. It’s about time this one was finished.

I have started quilting it. I am using the Westalee rulers. 


My first attempt was bad. I changed needles, thread, tension and cleaned the machine. I got so frustrated with the thread breaking, fraying and skipped stitches. I could also see the backing thread on the front at repetitive areas. I couldn’t fix it. So it went on the floor. Now, we didn’t go away for Christmas so I picked it up again. Wound a new bobbin and had no issues at all. I am not the best quilter, especially when the top and bottom threads are different colours. But, I will go with how it’s working. This quilt is for me…


11 comments:

Susan said...

Hopefully it goes well from now on

loulee said...

I hope things continue to go well. As someone once said to me.... A blind quilter would be happy to see it.

Janice said...

It’s crazy how sometimes it just takes rethreading everything to fix a problem. Fingers crossed things go much smoother from now on. It will be a lovely quilt to have finished. I downloaded a bookcase BOM this year. Not sure when, or if, if will get made.

Vireya said...

I've had that sort of thing happen. I can't find a reason for it, but I'll have problems with tension, or with thread breaking, or with needles coming loose. So I walk away in frustration. Then some time later, maybe days, maybe longer, I go back to it and everything works.

Glad it is working for you now!

Mari said...

Some days are like that! And then you pick it up later and everything works again. It's looking good so far!

Janet O. said...

Love this top!
I see many people use the Westalee rulers. There was actually a class about them at a LQS a few years ago, but the timing wasn't good for me.
Sounds like your first attempt at quilting this was not a happy experience. I admire that you are forging ahead and doing it!

Karen's Korner said...

How frustrting...hope it goes well second time around.

Jenny said...

I've never quilted with rulers, I believe you need a special foot? Is this technique easy to pick up? Hope the rest of your quilting goes well you seem to have it sussed now.

Maria said...

Hmm! I have a boys quilt I have sandwiched and pinned in January 2021..Like you Jo I'm not good at quilting and don't really enjoy it.. Hope all goes well now.

kiwikid said...

Your first attempt sounded frustrating Jo, hopefully it goes smoothly from now on.

jude's page said...

Hope you make progress now Jo, I am very reluctant to use a different colour thread on the back, and usually match front to back.