Monday, 10 August 2026

I got a bit sidetracked

I seem to get sidetracked very easily. My friend had the idea to make a carry bag with handles for her plastic sewing boxes. This made it easy to carry along with her other stuff. I thought it a great idea so decided to try it myself.

I have 4 containers the same dimension but different heights and only 1 lid. So they all sit on top of each other. I thought this was a great idea for them.  Now, choosing what fabric to use was the hardest. Then a light bulb moment. I could use up some old denim jeans that I have laid around. The pockets would be great on the outside for my phone and keys. Easy to reach. I was cutting away making pieces match while on Betty’s zoom. As I was sewing away it was coming together great. The thing is that I quilt the pieces and trim down to size. Well, it was working out so nice I didn’t want to cut it down so it came out bigger than originally intended. I then made it as big as I could.

Oh the joys of 2 days play, cutting, thinking and sewing.

My denim bag.

I put 2 press studs on the front to keep the lid flap closed.


 There is a pocket on the side


 On the back I have left the button and fly open at the top. I sewed a lining in which made it a usable pocket from the top


 Another pocket on the other side and front. Of course it had to have its Levi’s tag.
The straps were made of one fabric and I didn’t have to fold them like a bias binding or turn them into a tube. It was a new to me technique which works really well.
I found it on this bag tutorial but the strap was from the 4 minute mark


 It holds the largest container as well as 14 balls of wool.  I have my Izzy dolls in the container. The knitting needles fit easily and there is plenty of room for my sewing up supplies.


 I did put the other Levi tag on the top. The front flap has the waist band off a jacket so has good weight to hold it down nicely.
It is 13” * 14” and 10” high.



No comments: