Thursday 9 December 2021

My week of sewing

 I am amazed that I have actually done some sewing. This has not happened for quite a while.

The weather has been hot. When it’s cooled down a bit the doors and windows have been opened up. This is when I am most happy.

Anyway, our quilt group met the other night for a charity sewing night. We used fabrics we found stored away in the shed. Beautiful flannelette and soft quilting fabrics.


We cut, we sewed, we ironed and we finished 17 small baby covers for new borns and premie babies. These were made with squares on the front and one fabric on the back. Either flannelette on the front or back. They were bagged with no wadding and are so soft.


I also found a quilt kit in a bag when cleaning the shed. It had all the blocks made. The top had started to be assembled. There was a large piece of blue fabric which was enough for the sashing and bindings. So I laid them out and we started to sew them together. 1 top was done. A member has taken it home to put on the borders, quilt it and bind it. Amazing. 



There were enough blocks to make 2 good sized quilts that on Saturday, our next sewing day, I was able to complete another top up to border stage. I will wait for the other completed quilt to come back so I can use the left over blocks for the borders.  Can you see the stars..


On Sunday at home I continued the sewing of my Bonnie Hunter’s mystery quilt clue 1 blocks. I did get the blocks all sewn. They are ready to be ironed and trimmed.



Then I moved on to clue 2 and got all the pieces cut. More flying geese. These are one of my most disliked blocks.  The good part about these mysteries I am forced to make blocks I wouldn’t normally choose. 

I feel like I have had a great week.



10 comments:

Maria said...

Great evening sewing ladies ….
The wee baby quilts are lovely and the blue scrappy stars are gorgeous..
Good progress on your BH mystery….

Vireya said...

It is funny to read that it has been hot there. We are in the same state, but in the last week we have had only one day over 20. The last 3 days it has been 13, 13, 14. We've been wondering about lighting the fire! (We haven't but it has been a close thing.)

That star quilt looks great! Nice to see your mystery progress, too. It reminds me I haven't done a post on my part 2 geese yet.

Denice Barker said...

What a surprise to find the star block quilt pieces in a bag! They're
really pretty. And I love the flying geese block!

Linda said...

Sounds as though you had a very satisfying week. Love the baby blankets and the Star quilt. Hope you managed to finish Clue 2 of your Bonnie Hunter Mystery.

Karen's Korner said...

Well done to all those involved in the charity quilts......a great result and also with your mystery quilt sewing. I note that you are all COVID spaced out in the hall. A way of life for us all now.

kiwikid said...

You have had a super productive week Jo. Great work by the ladies.

Susan said...

Yes, you had a very productive week - what a great sewing space your group has!

Janice said...

It was definitely worth going through the fabric in the shed. Much better being used for cute quilts than just sitting there. You were all really productive. You've done well on your sewing too. I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt come together. The colours are nice.

jude's page said...

What a great effort from your group. Look forward to seeing Bonnies mystery come together

dq said...

Well ofcourse we do sewing when we can be with "our people". It looks like fun!