Sunday 29 May 2022

Happy Birthday Chooky - ZOOM - RSC 2022 - TABLE SCRAPS 2022

 What a weekend I have had so far. I have not done much sewing since being unwell but Friday that changed. I was in the mood to sew. Hubby was away for the night. So I cleaned off the kitchen table to use as my cutting surface, put on the QUILTED HUG tutorial on YouTube on the main tv and away I go.

A couple of years back I took a tub of all my scrap green fabrics to retreat, used the go cutter and cut them all into 2.5” strips. They were all different lengths but I had so many. Now they are finally getting used.

This quilted hug project you need 33 full of strips. I’m sure I had plenty and I wanted to make 2 Hugs. I went ahead and sewed all the strips end to end until they were all joined. When I measured I had more than 66 metres of length. Plenty enough.

I cut my polar fleece to rough size and started to sew my strips along the selvedge edge. This is different to how the tutorial says. They say to sew all the strips together to make a top then layer and quilt it to the fleece. Of course I changed things. Sewing straight on to the fleece, quilt as you go style, saves a lot of time because you are only sewing the seams once and not having to go back and quilt them.

As I said earlier hubby was away. I enjoyed sewing away with myself and I kept sewing. Looking at the clock it was now 2am but I was nearly done sewing the strips on. I kept sewing until I finished covering the fleece. I went to bed at 3am. 

Next morning I got up and joined Chooky’s 10th birthday on zoom. CHOOKYBLUE


I continued with my HUG. I made the pockets and attached them. Now the binding gets done. I made the first hug with machine sewing the binding on but my machine didn’t like this as I had many skipped stitches. I changed the needle a few times and it still skipped. 


First HUG nearly completed. This one just needs the closure tab.

On to the second HUG. This one I machined the binding on to the front.

Don’t you just hate sewing on a binding and you come to a corner and there is a join in the binding at the same point. So frustrating. I was not going to unpick and redo.

I spent the rest of my Saturday, still on zoom, to hand stitch the binding on the inside. Much happier now. Zoom finished about 10.30 pm and I continued to complete the hand stitched binding.

I am very happy with my finishes. One is for charity and one is for my mother in laws 90th birthday in June.

I am linking up with Angela and Soscrappy Saturday and RSC 2022 where the month of May was to sew with your green scraps.



And linking up with Joy and The Joyful Quilter and her Table Scraps Challenge. This year we do not have to stitch something  made for the table just anything small. So long as it uses scraps and the colour of the month for RSC 2022.

Now to spend my Sunday quilting a quilt for Aussie Heroes.   See next post.

 


16 comments:

Janet O. said...

These look really cozy--and your focus on getting them done is enviable!
It was fun seeing you model your work in progress on Zoom. Very nicely done.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It was fun zooming along with you. You got so much done is such a short amount of time! Those hugs are wonderful and no doubt your MIL will love it.
And yes, somehow a binding seam always ends up on a quilt corner, even if I pre plan how it's going to (or not) work.

Jenny said...

You certainly did get such a lot done, what a great pattern. And you certainly told those green strips who was boss!

Maria said...

You had a great sewing marathon getting the two Hugs done while hubby was away and joining in on Zoom.
Always lovely to catch up with all the ladies.

loulee said...

They look lovely Jo. I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Annie said...

I’m definitely looking forward to a hug in my old age! I have not seen one before. I think the quilt as you go was a great idea for getting the strips sewn together and getting the quilting done at the same time. They look quite cozy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a wonderful to make with scraps, and sounds like the perfect gift for your MIL! I bet my mom would like something like that, too. She is always cold, lol!

Karen's Korner said...

Fabulous.

LA Paylor said...

it's all so clever!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

Hey Jo...........great to have you join zoom and help celebrate the Chooksheds birthday.......the hugs look wonderful and I am sure your MIL will love it esp with this cold weather........

Janice said...

They are such a clever project. You did so well to get them both completed. It was a fun catch up on Saturday.

jude's page said...

What a great idea, very aptly named, a HUG. I've not heard of them before now. Great use of your green strips. Sorry to miss the Zoom, my weekend just disappeared. Hoping for next time.

Sandy Panagos said...

Using the Quilt-As-You-Go method with the fleece was a great idea!

Deb A said...

What a fun weekend of sewing you had and love your hugs! They came out beautifully.

dq said...

You are a machine!
I hope you are feeling better.

Susan said...

My word you were busy - 3 AM - I am a late night person - but not sure I could stay as late as that.

Maybe a walking foot would have resolved your issues with the binding?

Great work Jo - I'm sure your mum will love her jacket.