Monday 19 June 2023

I found my way back to Storm at Sea

 Hello, it has been a while. I have had a bit of the ‘can’t be bothered’ mood.

I got my quilt back from Jackson and it is amazing. So much fun with the little fishes quilted in and so many bubbles. I love it


See the fish


And the bubbles


The binding was a little bit of the unknown and a challenge but I trimmed it up.


 Then I had to work out how to get a lot of bias binding to fit curves. I saw a great, quick tutorial online so thought, why not give it a try. The video uses 1/2 metre of fabric but I didn’t know how much I needed so I just used 1 metre. 


Only 2 seams and cutting lines. No drawing lines or getting twisted.


2nd seam done. Looks a bit messy but it was magic.


Finish the cutting


And now I have 20 metres of 2 1/2” wide bias binding



Binding is getting sewn on


Nearly done


On to the hand stitching. I don’t hand stitch down many bindings as I do a lot of charity quilts and hand stitching them takes a few nights.


Moving along nicely and I’m nearly done. 3 nights later and it was finished.


It looks super amazing. I am thrilled to bits with it.


This was a Storm at Sea SAL with my quilt group Sunraysia Patchwork Friends. Everyone’s quilts came out so different. I think this will make a little one very happy. One to put away until the right person comes along.


14 comments:

Maria said...

Oh WOW Jo that's amazing..... So glad you're keeping it for a special person after all your work.
Will check out the tut on the continuous binding. Thanks.

Jenny said...

How wonderful, what a fabulous quilt. I know you were piecing the ships, but I spy fish too. Great job on the curved binding, that sounds rather tricky.

Karen S said...

That is a wonderful finish. Your quilt looks great. Definitely worth all the time and effort that went into it.

Lin said...

A masterpiece Jo! I love the boats in the storm and everything really. Great binding idea. xx

Mari said...

Oh, Jo, it turned out so great. What an accomplishment. Congratulations!

Vireya said...

Fantastic, Jo!

I understand the "can't be bothered" mood. It is where I've been for a while too.

Karen's Korner said...

I have enjoyed following the progress of the scraps to the finish line. Great job on the binding.

dq said...

Jo, it is so beautiful. What a job that binding was, but it was so so worth it! My pattern is tucked away in my sewing room in a spot where I see it everyday.

It is fun to see everyone's quilts they worked on at Scrub Stitchin' coming to a finish line.

marina said...

Incredible work Jo!!

loulee said...

An amazing finish Jo. Yes, someone will feel very special indeed when they snuggle under that one.

kiwikid said...

Gorgeous Jo, the edging looks amazing, well done, so good to see it finished.

Janice said...

What a stunner! Jackson has really worked some magic and the shaped border suits it to a tee! You should be really proud of what you have created.

Chookyblue...... said...

It's just gorgeous Jo you should be super happy....... Lots of work but so worth it.......

Raewyn said...

A VERY late comment but WOW!!! So good to see this finished - it looks amazing!!! Whoever receives it will be a very lucky person :-)