Tuesday 25 July 2023

A Flip La K sort of weekend.

 Our quilt group had a fabulous trunk show on Friday night. 

Flip La K with Brenda.

We raised $140 for cancer resources. Great effort ladies.

Saturday we had a workshop to learn how to use these wonderful rulers/templates.

We all made the same block each which will be put together for a charity quilt. We also were all given the ruler to keep. Brenda was so generous.


The group all worked hard to finish the block then start on their own block/quilt with their own rulers.

Everyone was so busy.



I wanted to learn the flying geese block. This is one that I never get right. Brenda’s quilt is so pretty.


I grabbed a pile of Batiks and hand dyed fabrics


Started to sew the dreaded block.


Finally worked out how to do it with the ruler.

It does work fairly easily once you get it. A great workshop.


Sunday was time to start another block.. my friend made this block as her first attempt. 
Now it’s my turn


and this is the fabric I grabbed.


I didn’t get any of this sewn as my machine played up stitching the batiks. I cut the strips needed then packed them away.


This is such a beautiful design


I went back to stitching the last 2 charity blocks. Now to work out how to put them together. The blocks were to measure 10 1/2” but they measure anything from 10 - 11” so a clever idea is needed. A few seams will be pulled apart and restitched and the sashing I have chosen will give a wonky look which hopefully will hide the odd sizes.



10 of us went to the RSL for dinner on Saturday night and my oh my… it was delicious.
The shanks.


Chicken and vegies.


Garlic prawns, rice and vegies… Delicious 


Pavlova with berries…. Yummy. I didn’t have this but the person next to me thoroughly enjoyed it.


There was 7 different meals ordered and they were all great quality.
6 of us bought meat raffle tickets and 3 on our table won…

It was a fantastic weekend. Now to make something with the blocks started…..


14 comments:

Jenny said...

What a fun weekend, sewing away, learning new things, and enjoying a nice meal out together. Must admit that I know nothing about fancy rulers.

loulee said...

Loos like a fantastic weekend. Looking forward to seeing those blocks turn in to a a quilt top.

jude's page said...

Great blocks Jo, and meals look yummy, retreats always a good time

Lin said...

What a great time you had! Love the idea of all making the same block for a charity quilt - saves ending up with a sample that lives at the back of a drawer! Your flying geese look very impressive - I have not come across that method before. I do love that last quilt, a stunner. xx

Chookyblue...... said...

looks like lots of fun Jo.........nice blocks too......

Vireya said...

That sounds like a great weekend!

The completed top made with those brown-ish batiks looks fantastic! How big are you aiming for with yours?

Janice said...

What a great workshop and a nice charity quilt to show for it. Good luck working on your new blocks. Dinner looks rather tasty. A nice way to finish the day.

Susan said...

These rulers are interesting - I see them at shows occasionally...I may even have one... somewhere...LOL

Hopefully, you have mastered flying gees now?? they can be tricky...

It looks like a great setup for your retreat - and you have some prep done - and hopefully, you have sorted your machine now.

Ondrea said...

So many different blocks to try and lovely pics.

Clare said...

Good morning Jo. Thankyou for my beautiful applique heart block. These blocks are very speacial to me. your block came Saturday 29th July. Blessings, Clare.

kiwikid said...

Great day Jo with the rulers. I hope the blocks all go together and play nice.
Love the quilt your friend made, it is a stunning design. Hope your machine recovers! Great dinner out.

Janet O. said...

Really good looking blocks. I'm interested to see what you create with them.
My goodness, the food looks delicious.
Sounds like you had a great time!

cityquilter grace said...

such lovely blocks and patterns....can't go wrong with batiks...and the food all looks yummy! mmm garlic prawns...

Linda said...

Sounds a great weekend. RSA meals are always fabulous, aren’t they? We have happy memories of eating at RSAs with both Aussi and Kiwi friends. Hope your sewing machine is now behaving itself.😊