Saturday 8 July 2023

Hand quilting a long time UFO

 It has been so long since I have picked this quilt up to work on.  My beautiful friend Sue made this scrappy top for my 50th birthday. I was not into scrappy quilts then. But since Sue made this wonderful quilt for my birthday I have been learning to use scraps and enjoying them. I knew I had to hand quilt this as a treasured memory for many years tor come. It sat for approx 3 years and I started quilting Bonnie Hunters baptist fan idea. I am using up my mums crochet cotton to do big stitch quilting. I am loving it.

I have the centre finished. Now on to the sashing.

I changed to a green thread so the sashing quilting didn’t stand out as much. I am just doing corner to corner on the diagonal.

Look at my poor overworked finger. Some days it was sore and others it was very rough and callused.

The binding is nearly complete. I have had this for nearly 10 years so it is really a well deserved UFO. It has been so nice snuggling under this quilt especially during the last few cold weeks.. I am thrilled to bits with it.

Thank you Sue. Always thinking of you.

It is very close to being finished




11 comments:

Maria said...

Your hand quilting on the treasured Scrappy Quilt looks great and worth the sore finger.
That's how my finger is looking while working on the Laundry Basket quilt. Can't wear a thimble either...

Chookyblue...... said...

That's a very special quilt...... Well done.....

Jenny said...

Big stitch quilting is a very satisfying way to hand quilt. It's a lovely way to honour your friends quilt. I seem to only do the finer quilting on small pieces these days. Or simple machine quilting.

Susan said...

That is a gorgeous quilt - good to see it being finished now.

Sorry about your finger though.

jude's page said...

Lovely scrap quilt, and amazing because it is being hand quilted!! Can't imagine ever doing that.

Janice said...

The hand quilting really makes this a special no quilt. The design is so effective, using the lights and darks. Sue will be pleased to see it completed.

Vireya said...

Your poor finger, but lovely work on the quilting! It adds to the charm of the quilt.

cityquilter grace said...

Looking fine...try some liquid bandage on your finger...

Ondrea said...

That us a beautiful quilt! Your quilting is so loveky. Lol, your finger looks like m8neo when I hand quilt. I don't use thimbles because I like to feel what I am doing but I end up with holes in my fingers lol.

Ondrea said...

Oops, sorry about the typos. Need to rest my hand.

dq said...

It sounds like there are a lot of memories in this one as well as more than a few loved ones to think about while working on it.

It looks very nice Jo. Your worn out finger is part of hand quilting for sure.