Sunday 17 May 2020

AUSSIE HERO QUILTS.....

You all know I support AHQ.  Well, this week, along with everyone else I was shocked to hear of Jan-Maree's illness. She is not looking for sympathy but understanding and support.
We as quilters have know so many over our sewing years that have needed support. So many have gone through stressful times. We will continue to sew and support in the ways we know...
Thinking of you Jan-Maree.


I would like to share with everyone the fantastic work everyone does that sends off their quilts to the troops.

Have a look here to see some beautiful work sent to cheer some people up.


This is another one that has been posted....



And my Lorraine Cocker quilt has been quilted.
This was a UFO CHALLENGE for me... NO... 2 is completed.



Here they both are together.

A happy finish of 2 quilts..


I am happy to be making these quilts for our troops on deployment but Australia Post has made it more difficult to post them. The boxes they sold that fitted the requirements for free postage to the troops are no longer being sold at the post office. This size fitted a magazine, a quilt and sometimes a pack of biscuits or chocolate. All this came in under 2 kgs so was free. Now the boxes are way too small to fit a quilt or too large that you need to pay postage. Thanks for your support Aust Post.
I was told you could get them from Officeworks but no, not in Mildura. Getting around in these COVID times is hard enough let alone searching for boxes. I then tried BUNNINGS. Yes, Fantastic. They had a smaller box than the original we used but a quilt still fits perfectly. Not sure what else you could squeeze in as it only weighed 1.5 kgs...  They were also sold  seperately too.



These are what they look like as a flattened box.. $2.69 @ BUNNINGS.....



I was so happy to find these at Bunnings that I sent a message to thank them. I got a lovely message back from Steve the manager. He is an ex serviceman who was in the forces for 12 years and thanked me for what I am doing. In return he offered to supply me with more boxes.

Thankyou STEVE @ Mildura BUNNINGS for your offer to supply me with more boxes as required. I appreciate your support and I will accept the boxes.

6 comments:

Vireya said...

Fantastic to get that support from your Bunnings manager!

kiwikid said...

How good is the support from your Bunnings manager. Well done him. Sad that Aust. Post has decided to let so many people down, it is not just the quilt makers but families who send care packages too. Good you have found a handy supply though Jo. Your quilts look wonderful, well done.

Maria said...

Sad to read of JMs illness....
Why do things keep changing and not for the better.
So good of Steve at Bunnings to such a great guy...

jacaranda said...

Wonderful support from Bunnings. Fabulous quilts.

Linda said...

As I’m not Australian I’m not aware of all the work Aussie Heroes entails ( I only know of its existence through your blog, Jo) and do not know Jan-Maree. I have just read her amazing blog post about her diagnosis and plans for AH and, very low down on the list, herself. Humbling to read. Wishing her all the best for her forthcoming treatment, a long road that I’m sure she will tackle with her positivity and courage. Well done to you, Jo, for tracking down the right sized box at Bunnings....... Oh dear, you now have set an ear worm going in my head.... Bunnings Warehouse, Bunnings Warehouse!

dq said...

They are both so very very pretty especially on that gorgeous green lawn. I bet your yard is immaculate. Mine is not.

The map quilt is so unique and has an amazing border. It is interesting how a pieced border just makes a quilt. Too bad we don't always take the time to do them.

Your Lorraine Cocker quilt is gorgeous! The petals look like applique' but then I am not sure.