Wednesday 15 September 2021

Happy mail and some baby sewing

 A while ago I commented on Mari’s blog that I loved the backing fabric she had used.

https://academicquilter.blogspot.com/2021/06/purple-morning.html

How lucky am I Mari sent me her leftovers…and a few other fabrics.


Aren’t those birds just so cute. More fabric for my stash. I knew of a design I wanted to make straight away.

First up I found some pale yellow to go with the birds.


Cut up the birds into as many squares as I could get in a workable size. 6 1/2” square. Cut some strips of the yellow to border them making a 10 1/2” square.


Then I searched for some other fabrics to match the blues and yellows. I cut them in to strips for the alternating blocks.


Put them all on the wall and cut the strips to fit the spaces. Layout no. 1



Layout no. 2 



One day I will get back to piecing it all together.


Thank you so much Mari for your kindness.


12 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

how very kind of MAri to send you a parcel and you made a great start.......like the layout......

kiwikid said...

That is beautiful fabric Jo, it was very kind of Mari to send it to you. Must have been serendipity as you nearly have a quilt top made with it already!

Maria said...

Nice fabrics you received in the mail.
Like the second layout….👍

Linda said...

Pretty colours. - a thoughtful gift. Your ideas for a baby quilt remind me of a couple of baby quilts I made a few years ago.

Denice Barker said...

I have/had some of that bird fabric!!! I am impressed you just cut it up and used it right away! I tend to let things lay there...for years...not wanting to cut up what I really love. Good design for showcasing the birds!

Janet O. said...

Very clever way to showcase that cute fabric!

Jenny said...

How exciting to get that parcel in the mail. And you jumped right in making a good start using those gorgeous fabrics.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Fabric parcels are the best and you've made quick work of putting together a quilt top.

Janice said...

How kind of Mari to send you the fabrics. I’m sure she will be delighted to see that you’re using some straight away. Funnily, I’ve been looking at that pattern to make a quilt too.

Mari said...

So pretty, Jo! I love that the birds are getting used up and that you're so happy with it. I love the yellow. It's the perfect compliment to the blues. And I can just see someone enjoying this pretty quilt. Have a great day!

Cheryll said...

Nice work Jo...xox

loulee said...

A wonderful gift. And a lovely quilt. Looking forward to seeing it finished.