Monday 23 July 2018

Mend or New


Here is my hubbies bike vest.
He has had it for many years. It was second hand when we got it. It's had a lot of wear.
Always worn over his leathers. It became a bit too tight years ago so I cut the sides, hemmed it, put eyelets in and laced a large boot lace through.
It fits... 
you can just see a little bit of the inside colour on the bottom band. It shows how much it has faded.

The button holes have all been patched up. I'm not sure how long they will last.

I fused on some heavy fabric to the inside then heavily free motioned mending style.
It looks very rough but he will get a few more wears out of it.

The collar is so worn out..
I'm scared to wash it in case it falls apart.
I think I'm going to have to search the op shops for a replacement but it can't be brand new though.

8 comments:

elliek said...

It has been well loved and I agree if it's replaced it has to be second hand.

Vireya said...

Obviously a well-loved garment!

kiwikid said...

That is much loved Jo..you are good trying the mending...good luck finding a replacement.

Daffycat said...

Awww, it’s sad when things start wearing out. My Dash’s vest is leather and has seen better days!

DreamNT said...

Thank you very much for the knowledge. Obviously a well-loved garment!








บุคคลที่โลกจดจำ

Maria said...

The old boys get sew attached to their things... Good luck in getting a replacement at the oppie.

dq said...

It sounds like you are getting every last little bit of wear out of it thanks to your sewing skills.

Julie A Hutcherson said...

A possibility: remove the collar. Mend the worn torn section-by itself, leaving the good under-section free. Reattach to the vest, flipping it, with the mended side becoming the under collar.

I did this for my then husband at this request on some dress shirts.