Thursday 12 October 2023

Back to my hand piecing days.

 When I first started patchwork I made so many projects and quilts by hand piecing. This meant tracing around a template with pencil and slowing sewing them together to make blocks. Since we have just ordered a new caravan we hope to use frequently I would like to take my Hand sewing along so I always have something to work on that won’t be finished in a day.

About 10-12 years ago I went to the Melbourne quilt show and loved this pattern. 365 Star a Day.

Make 1 a day for a year. Well that didn’t happen. Life changed and I didn’t even get 1 block made. These blocks finish at 3 inches. I would prefer to make these than EPP.

These are the tiny templates used to make the blocks.

I had thrown in scraps of fabrics into this case years ago too. It also had a kit with scissors, needles, thread, sandpaper and pencil. All ready to go.

It needed updating and to be more organised.
I sat and measured out what size scrap I needed to collect to make it easier and hopefully neater for me. 
That will be next.  Sorting these scraps out.

Look at the gorgeous case I have for it.


Now I need to make the preparation folder. Sandpaper board, cutting mat and ironing board folder.
On to planning it.



13 comments:

Jeanette said...

I bought that pattern many years ago & made a start in January this year. I think I did a months worth. Often think I should get back to it.

Lin said...

What a great pattern - and a perfect case to keep everything in. I originally pieced by hand and still love it. Have fun in your van with your new project. xx

Susan Smith said...

A lot of work, but great for caravan travelling. I remember that shop was in Melbourne somewhere, but so many have now gone. Love that case for the scraps etc. Have fun & hope we hear about your new adventures. Take care & hugs from a cold/wet Gippsland.

Jenny said...

A new caravan, how exciting! Is it still being made, When do you expect to get it? There is a waiting list here for our NZ manufactured caravans, obviously sales are booming. That's a great project for your caravan trips, although I couldn't cope with such little fiddly pieces. The case is perfect for all your necessary bits and pieces.

Janice said...

What a cute case. That should be an ideal project for your travels. Much more compact than my basket of various projects that I take. I haven’t tried American hand piecing and doubt if I will. EPP is the only hand piecing I do. I’m sure you will have your little kit well organised for when you start travelling in your van.

Gail said...

What a lovely pattern! Slow stitching in the caravan is bound to be delightful and productive. I LOVE the case you found for this project~ and many more when you finish this one!

jude's page said...

Good planning Jo, perhaps I need to do likewise ?? But you know that hand work has not been on my bucket list, but I can see a few more caravan trips in my future, so what am I to do about that??

Linda said...

What a great box! You will have fun going through all your scraps.

Karen's Korner said...

Just the case to hold your "caravan" project/s.

loulee said...

Oooh! Looking forward to seeing this one as a work in progress. Cute case.

Karen S said...

How lovely to rediscover a special project. That will be great to take as you travel. Love the case you found.

Susan said...

That is a perfect case for your travel-ready project.

It is certainly not a quick project, so should keep you occupied for a bit!

Chookyblue...... said...

Very appropriate case....... Goodluck getting organised.... I do like the project......