Monday 2 October 2023

I’ve actually done some sewing and a request.

 Our group has decided to make a pin cushion for our Kris Kringle this year. We have found that if there is a pattern supplied we get more people take part. We got permission from Sue to share the pattern which is always the right thing to do.

The piecing has begun. I decided to make 2 at the same time because I really like the pattern.

And the buttons are on.


Here are the 2 of them finished.
They have pockets, a felt needle spot, somewhere to put your threads. Very clever.


Now at our group we have been asked to make a quilt for the hospital.

This was the request *******

I am a midwife at Mildura Base Hospital, and one of my responsibilities is caring for mothers and their partners who have suffered a stillbirth.

In attempting to create a less clinical and more caring space for these families, I was wondering if your group would be interested in making and donating a quilt for the birthing bed.

We would be looking at a king single size with a butterfly motif, which is the symbol of pregnancy loss.

Purple is the colour for midwifery.  Muted hues would be most suitable. ******

So I have asked for help with blocks to measure 12.5” with purple butterflies with a cream tone on tone background. Any design/technique is suitable. If anyone wants to help me please join in. Just let me know. Here are some ideas.




8 comments:

Denice Barker said...

Oh my gosh! When our little group decided to interpret six in something I made a cube pin cushion! I used spare blocks for each side.

Maria said...

Those pincushion look great.
The first butterfly pattern for the special quilt is lovely.

Karen's Korner said...

Nice work on the pincushions. I like how there is "storage" on the sides.

Janet O. said...

Very clever pincushion. I like your fabrics. They look very cheerful and fun.
The butterfly blocks are a lovely idea. Wish I could make blocks for you, but I am way behind on quilting commitments, and finding very little time to sew.

Susan said...

I agree - give everyone a pattern and people do it - it's a great idea.

Butterflies...purples...etc...mmm...is this an ongoing thing? I would be happy to help out -but a bit over-committed if it's a short-term thing...

Janice said...

Hi Jo. The pincushions are fun. I hope lots of members join in. Yep, I’ll make a butterfly and send it down. That sounds like such a nice thing to do. Now to find a suitable pattern.

Raewyn said...

Hi Jo, I love the pincushion, with the buttoned idea for thread. I'll have to look that one up! If you are still after butterfly blocks, I can make one, but not till later in October - let me know if I can be of help :-)

kiwikid said...

Great pincushions Jo, the butterfly quilt sounds wonderful, I too am a bit committed at present but could help later if that is of any use to you?