Saturday 7 October 2023

Placemats for MEALS on WHEELS.

 Once again we are trying to make around 200 placemats for Sun Assist to hand out at Christmas time when the pay deliver MEALS on WHEELS in our area. At the moment we only have about 40 made. So I spent some time using up some strips and making a couple. 

Here are the scraps of purples I started with. These were leftovers from the butterfly blocks I made.


I started with a centre hexagon cut from a piece of chenille. I am making my placemats QAYG style.


Our group is having a tutorial tonight but I am not taking my machine. I pre-made my piece as I already new how to make the improved hexagonal log cabin block. I just kept going around like a log cabin until the wadding and backing was covered.


Time for trimming up. This always makes your piece look so much better.
I make them approx 12” x 18”. I find this is a good size.


2 trimmed up ready for binding.


This is the fabric I have left out of that pile.


They look good with the binding finished.
I like machine sewing my bindings on as they will be washed a lot and it is also quicker than hand sewing.


I have been sewing my bindings by machine for years but I came across this tutorial which was easy to follow. My friends always say they have trouble joining the ends. This video was very clear to understand.



13 comments:

Lin said...

Two nice finishes there. It's a great scheme and I am sure puts a smile on the face of the recipients. xx

Mari said...

These are darling, Jo. I'm sure they'll be appreciated!

Susan Smith said...

Lovely & I know they'll be appreciated by the recipients. Such pretty colours too. Take care & will you watch some of the race today?

Ondrea said...

Well done! The colours are so lovely.

Maria said...

Two lovely placemats to add to the 40.

Linda said...

Two bright and cheerful placemats, Jo. Keep sewing upthose scraps!

Janice said...

It sounds like everyone is going to have to put their skates on the reach the goal. Your latest two look nice and bright.

Jenny said...

Looking good- another two for the pile. I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled with a nice new placemat this Christmas.

Sara said...

These are really cute. Great way to use those strips and strings.

Karen's Korner said...

Pretty and practical for the recipients and a great way to use up those scraps. A win win situation. I have only ever machined my bindings down.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful finishes Jo, they will be loved I am sure.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely additions toward your group's goal!!

Susan said...

Great job on these - I am keen to watch the tutorial - I prefer hand sewing the binding, but as you say for lots of washing & for M on W - machine binding is a good one.