Monday 15 September 2014

12" block swap flimsy

I have been a member of the 12" block swap over at http://quiltingblockswapsaustralia.blogspot.com.au  for just over a year now. I was collecting country stars. Some partners were kind enough to send more than one block.
It is great to get work from other people. Fabric and colour choices you wouldn't normally buy. Different blocks from so many but then again so many the same.
The hardest part when doing a swap like this is that your blocks don't always measure what they should. The colours can sometimes be hard to put together. That is the whole challenge of this. 
Once you start collecting a few blocks your mind starts then you begin looking for ideas. I didn't just want to put them together with basic sashings. I need something different.
Thanks to Pinterest I found something I could work with.... http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/407-layered-stars-quilt-pattern/8462
These are who I received the blocks from and have used.
1. Carolyn.    2. Irene.   3. Fiona.   4. Kerry.   5. Beth.   6. Lorna.   7. Cathy.   8. Kerry.   9. Debbie.   10. Kerry.   11. Vicki.    12. Jan.
Thankyou so much ladies....


Now they didn't all measure the same so I needed to trim them. With them being stars when I trimmed them back to the same size I would have lost my points. No way out of it..... Well, with the quilt picture in mind I decided to cut the blocks into quarters.... YES CUT THEM. Like I said. I would have lost the points anyway.



I rearranged them, added framing borders and stitched them altogether again.
The quilt top is done. It measures 140cm * 190cm. A good size.
Like I said, trying to put all the colours together makes your brain work a little overtime. I am happy with what I have done.



NOW TO QUILT IT...

I'm linking up with My Quilt Infatuation and NTT...Needle Thread Thursday

http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/party-time.html

12 comments:

Julianne said...

I LOVE it! That was alot of work but it is fantastic!

Terry said...

I think it was a great idea to cut the blocks and rearrange them! It looks great! :0)

Maria said...

WOW Jo unpicking and rearranging the blocks make a fabulous quilt.. Well done.

Christine M said...

Your quilt looks amazing, Jo. I would never have thought of cutting the blocks.

marina said...

wow what a great idea, the effect is fantastic.
Looks like a lot of thought and effort to get those blocks to come together.

elliek said...

Oh My Goodness! That looks amazing. Wish I could think outside the box like that. The blocks float.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo and wow you did an awesome job of putting all these blocks together,it looks fantastic,it was a challenge that you excelled at,well done my friend.xx

Handmade Whimzy said...

I love your "alternative" layout. Very modern. And it looks pretty too!

Lara B. said...

Oh wow! How awesome the block look put together with sashing Jo!

Vivian said...

Way to go! You did a great job of interpreting that design with your swap blocks. That baby (and all it's points) is a keeper!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Jo! THIS is fantastically creative!! I love it! So glad is "archived" under our stars theme....

CathyC said...

:) what a great solution to your dilemma of uneven blocks :) I will remember that when putting together my QBSA & Xmas swap blocks :)