Saturday 6 October 2018

Termite mounds

I know these weren't the biggest termite mounds we saw when we were on the train trip but you can't just stop anywhere. RIGHT.... 


WRONG!!

The driver had heard of this mound but never really stopped to see it.
As there was only 12 of us on the last part of the trip he pulled the train up and off we hopped.
Into the bush a little and look what we found.


Someone had dumped a motor bike on a mound and the termites just kept building around it. It is stuck in there well and truly.

A funny site off the beaten track.


We were also told that studies now show that termites have the same inside functioning of the cockroach family so technically are not really ants...

6 comments:

jacaranda said...

I think the mounds are fascinating and a work of engineering. Termites are not pleasant, was told that artificial grass attracts them.

kiwikid said...

That image of the bike dumped is amazing. I always thought termites were a branch of the ant family, shows you how wrong you can be!!

Vireya said...

Fascinating! I learnt quite a few things from that Wikipedia article.

I wonder how long the motorcyle sat there before it was engulfed?

Linda said...

Wow, what an amazing photo! I remember seeing lots of termite mounds on our visits to Australia but this is something else!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

THAT is NOT what I was expecting! LOL!!! Amazing!

dq said...

What a sight to see. I have never seen a termite mount.