Wednesday 3 May 2023

My project for the retreat. Storm at Sea. Moda Love

 I have been working on my Storm at Sea quilt. We were travelling to the retreat in Ali small bus so I couldn’t take too much with me. I had to be very careful with packing. Don’t forget I had to pack a heap of gifts that were purchased for the retreat too. So my decision was storm at sea which was already cut out with the go cutter and would take some time to sew up and finish. 

My decision was made. This is what I started with.


Now it is finished. I worked hard. This has now been taken by Annette to deliver to Jackson in Armidale for quilting. I have chosen 2 designs but I’m not sure if they are suitable. They are both edge to edge. I am very excited to see what he does with them.


The project for the weekend was a Moda love free project. 
It is a quilt you can make with any size fabric squares. 
This is what I made.

I decided to use the fabrics that came in the tin I bought from Judy.
So I searched through the pile and made the fabrics work. 
But OH NO…. I can see that I have mixed up 2 of the 1/2 square triangles. Now, do I unpick and fix or leave them. Well, I am not ready to use this up but I do know how I want to use it. I have decided to make it into a zippered project pouch.
Annette had one she was using and I liked the design.

But I especially like the 3d flowers that have been put on the outside of the plastic. Annette gave me some steam a seam to use for making them. I have not used this before so will give it a go.


Now for all the other Moda Love quilts that were made. I’m sure there were more made but these are all the photos I could find in the shared file.
 



This one is the size of a potholder. A Mini.









13 comments:

Denice Barker said...

Jo, your storm at sea is fabulous!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

I have a similar post coming up .....

Chookyblue...... said...

And I'm so pleased I got to see storm at see in real life.....

Jenny said...

Your Storm at Sea looks great, so original and such a lot of work, I'm sure. Well done.

loulee said...

Your storm at sea is amazing, I'm sure Jackson will do the right thing and it will continue to shine.
So many Moda Love quilt tops.

Janice said...

It worked out well that you were able to finish Storm at Sea and have it hand delivered to Jackson. It is stunning. I love all the versions of Moda Love. I’m blowed if I can find you mix up of pieces in your version.

Janet O. said...

Your Storm at Sea is mind boggling! How did you keep all that straight?
I may not have been able to come meet all you ladies at Scrub Stitchin', but I can brag that I HAVE met Jackson!
It took me forever to find the HST turned wrong in your Moda Love quilt. Hardly noticeable. I vote to leave it be. :)
Thanks for sharing all the "Love". It was fun to see how different quilts from the same pattern can appear.

Lin said...

Your Storm at Sea is stunning! Congratulations on getting it all pieced. xx

Susan said...

You know how much I love you SAS...so clever!

and I gave up looking for the HST turned wrong in your Moda Love quilt. . .I you use it for a pouch it will probably be covered most of the time anyway.

Good to collect the pics of the Moda Love quilts - what a variety

kiwikid said...

Storm at Sea is stunning Jo well done. I can't see the problem in your Moda love, loved all the Moda love Quilts.

jude's page said...

Love your storm at sea, such a great idea to put the ships and stars in.

Raewyn said...

Your Storm at Sea is gorgeous Jo, I bet you can't wait for it to be returned. I enjoyed having a closer look at it at retreat. I'm sure that even with the Go Cutter there was still a lot of sorting and planning to get it looking so great. It was neat to see so many versions of the Moda Love quilt - I have now added the photo of yours to my blog - thank you!

Mari said...

Your Storm at Sea looks great! So original and it looks so good. Well worth the effort. I love the Moda Love piece as well, though I don't think I've ever seen a Love star quite like that one. Another original!