Tuesday 2 January 2024

Butterfly quilts.

 How did I spend the first day of January 2024. Sewing, of course.

I was working on the butterfly quilt I am making for the local hospitals birthing room. Members from our group and a few of the zoom ladies made some blocks to help me out. After deciding what to do I have enough to make 2 quilts 1.5 * 1.8 metres.

Blocks are trimmed to the same size. As with any group activity the blocks don’t seem to arrive all the same so some thinking is required. Trimmed to 12” and will end up being 11.5” finished.




All the sashings, border and binding was cut.


After a good days sewing and the top is all together. This will be passed on to another member for quilting and hopefully another person for the binding.



Here are the leftover blocks for the 2nd quilt. As you can see there are so many different sizes. I have laid them out in a way that won’t need sashings but will need some scrappy pieces to fill the gaps and make the rows the same width. I will make some string blocks then cut 1/4 sq and 1/2 square triangles for setting in those on point blocks. It will be very different to the first one I did but will be about the same size.

15 comments:

dq said...

Two purple butterfly quilts made by a Butterfield - love them!
Well, also made by others who donated blocks.

loulee said...

A lovely way to begin the new year.

Ondrea said...

I love how you have arranged the butterfly blocks in the quilt. They are all beautiful blocks. Well done to all who contributed.

Janice said...

Quilt top number one looks great. I’m sure you will make a really effective quilt with the remaining blocks.

Raewyn said...

Fabulous Jo, I really like how you have arranged the blocks and made them all work so well together....a lot of thinking and moving things around I bet!

Dorian said...

Very nice Jo! You are doing a great job putting them together. Have fun with the next one!

Maria said...

The quilt butterfly top is very pretty and you added a lovely sashing.
I’m sure top two will be fabulous too!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Susan Smith said...

A lovely idea & so many blocks have come your way for this. If you need any purple scraps, I've plenty for strings. Look forward to seeing the second one finished too. Take care & hugs. PS: did you get those storms yesterday?

Jenny said...

Such a lot of pretty purple butterflies!

Vireya said...

It is always challenging to assemble blocks made by many people. The top you have done looks great, and I'm sure the second one will be just as successful with your string additions.

Karen S said...

What a lovely way to start the year.
Great work finding a way to put them together. Never an easy task.

Janet O. said...

Such a puzzle to assemble a gathering of blocks from so many different stitchers. Your first one turned out just wonderful! I love butterflies, and I love purple. You pulled it all together so well.
I can see there are a few more challenges with the second set of blocks, but you have a great plan! Kudos!

kiwikid said...

Beautiful quilt Jo and the second one will be amazing too. So many beautiful blocks.