Sunday 27 December 2020

BOXING DAY 2020

Well, I hope everyone had a lovely Xmas day. It's now the end of Boxing Day and my plans have changed. We were expecting to be on the road to visit my mother in law.. Due to covid and travel, work and other plans, my hubby fractured his little toe a week ago and is on crutches. He cannot walk so is feeling a bit uncomfortable, cannot work until he can put steel cap boots on. maybe 4-6 weeks away. We didnt know if we had time available for a trip. Anyway we hadn't booked. So I looked online and I could't find any accommodation. My mother in law lives 10 hours away. We decided to stay home and not risk the teavel and not randomly finding somewhere to stay. Being school holidays, Victorians now allowed to travel & Christmas everyone has decided to be away. I say, take advantage and clean that sewing room...
Choose one of the multiple UFO'S .A while back I was on Zoom with some Quilters. I think Chooky's day and I showed Deanna's row by row SAL & swap quilt from a few years ago. I said that I really should get it quilted. Well today was the day..
and start to work on it.
So I did... Here is my progress..I decided to use a darker thread than what I normally use. I am not that even when quilting and it is all free motion. This is new to me. I usually use the thread the same colour so it doesnt show because my stitching isn't that even. I am out of my comfort zone. The thread is darker but the photos show uneven tension and holes. It's not really that bad in life. I am happy with it so far.
My UFO's are many and I am so overwhelmed I am not sure where to begin. I just look and then walk away. I really need to focus this year and get some finished. I want to try and finish a quilt every month. I already have some basted ready for quilting. I have some tops completed and many more tops that need completing and so many more projects that have a lot to do to be anywhere recognisable.

11 comments:

Betty the quilter said...

I know how you are feeling. Several years ago I was feeling the same way. I must have had over 200 UFO's. I can say that out loud now, I couldn't then. They were all over the place. I bit the bullet & got them all together in one place. Never did actually count them then. then I focused, Did the ones that were quick & easy to finish. My brain just wouldn't let me start any new ones. That was hard, but I kept at it for a couple of years. Now the UFO's are under 30. BUT, I didn't mention that I continued to buy kits & wooly projects & books. Now that total is over 100 again, all told. But, I am working on them. They will get done. Just bite that bullet, get them all in one place & just start. It will get easier, I promise. Sorry, this is long, & I hope it helps you

Mari said...

Nice progress on that quilt! I've been starting with the small ones and working my way up to the bigger tops. Hope your husband heals up soon!

jude's page said...

You have made good progress Jo, and you will find that the more you do, the better you will get. Well done and hope hubby gets better soon, and you can travel again.

Jenny said...

So sorry to head about your hubby's fractured toe, that sounds really uncomfortable, and put your plans in disarray. I have plenty of UFOs too, but only deal with six at a time, choosing one of them from this group to work on. Your quilting seems to be coming along well, great work. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and I'm sure you will make good use of this extra time at home.

Linda said...

Sorry to hear about Tony’s broken toe. You made the right decision not to travel, better to stay safe and be comfortable at home. Love the quilt, impressed by your machine quilting. I can only machine quilt in straight lines, either side of columns or ( rather wonkily) in the ditch.

Vireya said...

That's a lovely quilt! Just choosing one project and getting stuck into it and finishing it is probably the best strategy. I should take that advice!

kiwikid said...

Good idea to stay at home and away from the crowds! Hope hubbies toe is more comfortable soon. Your quilting looks great Jo. Do lists help? Maybe list what you want to get done and the cross off as you get a finish? Nothing better for me that crossing off!! 😁😁😁

Maria said...

Catching up with blog reading.. Missed you at Chooky's Zoom meeting today..
Great progress with your quilting.
Hope Tony's toe heals soon....

Preeti said...

What an absolutely adorable and darling quilt!!! The quilting is just perfect. There is a lot to overwhelm us. I am sure that 2021 will bring relief and peace. Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

dq said...

Yay yay! You are getting her done. I loved popping in yo find this delightful post today. Well delightful except for your poor hubby's toe.
Happy new year Jo!

Andrea said...

Jo, I kept my inspiration in the past 12 months by choosing quilts to give at Xmas and some birthdays. That was the best thing ever - it made me very happy to work on those chosen ones because I could put thought and energy into that person and the quilt. We ended up only needing to purchase 4 family gifts this year because the rest were hand-made. The responses to opening the gifts was the absolute best. Wishing you love as you decide which ones to tackle first. Andrea xxx