Wednesday 14 February 2024

Farmers Wife Blocks 103 & 43 are done.

 Another day was spent sewing my Farmers Wife blocks.

2 a week is all I needed to do. Wow, 43 took a few hours. These blocks measure 6” finished.

Block 103 the snowball was fairly simple. I also remembered to fussy cut the centre on point.

Next block was 43. Not so easy. Choosing the fabrics always takes time.

Thanks to the foundation papers to help me along the way. I wrote the colours on the pattern so I knew where to put what. 

Piecing the sections.

 

Now to iron and remove the papers.

Nicely ironed and made to measure correctly. I did have to let out a seam or 2. I’m not sure why I have so much trouble.

I have chosen the fabric for the outside border triangles. 

Cut some to size and put them on my wall with the blocks I have made so far. 

I just have to sort out the sashing fabric then I can start joining them. I have 2 or 3 to choose from. 

A light cream tone on tone.

Target achieved.


10 comments:

Lin said...

I always find deciding what fabric yo use can take longer than the sewing! When you are working on such a small scale the tiniest deviation can make a big difference but your blocks look great. xx

Janice said...

A good start there. It sounds like some of the blocks will keep you on your toes.

Susan Smith said...

Well done & amazing. Little differences can also occur as some fabrics have just a little more give in them & when handled can pull out of shape. I learnt that from a lovely American quilter a loooooooong time ago, so try not to stress.....try? Look forward to seeing more. Take care, stay cool & hugs.

loulee said...

Those are lovely blocks. You're going to be kept busy.

Vireya said...

Very cute centre to block 103!
43 is very complex, and the end result looks lovely.
Love the setting triangle fabric - is that a new one, or something you have had in your stash for a while?

dq said...

Farmer's Wife Pattern is a big undertaking. You seem to be moving right along.
I agree with Lin, selecting the fabric is fun and takes time to do it right.

Maria said...

Lovely FW blocks and the fabrics you’ve chosen look great as does the border fabric.

Julie said...

Gosh this looks just beautiful Jo. I just adore those vintagey looking fabrics you are using. 🧡💙

Susan said...

Quite a project ahead of you - but some things jsut take time.

Karen S said...

When there are so many detailed blocks, it is good to appreciate the simpler ones. Lovely work.