Sunday 4 February 2024

Friday sewing the Farmers Wife quilt….

 I don’t often get to sew on a Friday. It’s usually spent doing the washing, groceries and bills… etc…..

But this Friday I sewed.

I have joined a group who are making the Farmers Wife Quilt. 

The starting block # 14

I have always wanted to make this quilt and I had put some fabrics with the book and printed the templates a few years ago. Now is the time to start.



We have decided to make 2 blocks per week.
I am working from top left doing each row then assembling the top as I go. Or that is what I hope to do.
I have to sort the sashing and border yet.
Anyway, here is my first block going together. It was a bit hard for the first block. The blocks measure 6” so 5 across isn’t easy to work out. BUT I did find this site where the measurements have been worked out for foundation pieced.
Susan Gatewood has some great information to each block. Such a great help.


Well my first 2 blocks are finished. Blocks 14 and 81

.

But I soon found out that these blocks are going on point so my fussy cutting of fabrics needs to be a bit better. This block will stay this way as a reminder.





16 comments:

Mari said...

Oh my, Jo, that's a big undertaking! Your first blocks look great, and I like your fabrics. Have fun crossing this one off your bucket list!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So enjoying seeing all your blocks plus the Farmer's Wife. Two a week is a good pace and you have such pretty fabrics picked out. Fun to work with! Enjoy sewing these beautiful blocks.

dq said...

Is this a new project you are just getting started on, Jo? Are these really small blocks? In the back of my memory it seems like Farmer's Wife blocks are small like Dear Jane.

Susan said...

That is an undertaking - but having goals helps a lot. Putting things on point does change it up a bit - have fun!

loulee said...

Thats going to be a pretty quilt.

kiwikid said...

Great blocks and fabric Jo, good to be doing it with someone else and having a weekly target, helps keep you motivated!

Ondrea said...

OMG! I have several completed hand pieced blocks stashed away. I made them years ago lol. Hmmmm another UFO. Have fun making yours. The fabrics are lovely.

Janet O. said...

Kudos to you for tackling this one. It is a beauty, but LOTS of blocks!
That is a very cute fussy cut that will now be on point. :)

Maria said...

Good on you for making a great start on Farmer’s Wife. Lovely fabrics.
I think two blocks a week and sewing along with ours really helps.
Enjoy!

Janice said...

This is such a beautiful quilt. It will be lovely with those fabrics. Two blocks a week is quite a task, but being part of a group will hopefully keep you on track. I look forward to seeing it evolve.

Lin said...

Good to be working this with friends who will keep you on track. I remember with my Dear Jane that after the first few blocks motivation is hard to come by! Good luck because it is going to be a beautiful quilt. xx

Denice Barker said...

I've always thought I'd like to make this quilt, too, but the tiny size intimidates me. Good for you to tackle it!

Susan Smith said...

Wow, a big project & I do remember that quilt when it sort of arrived on the scene & thought it way too much for me to do, so look forward to seeing yours come together. Take care & hugs. Oh BTW.....how hot were you feeling yesterday?

Jenny said...

Oooh too small for me. But I know how speedy and patient you are

Linda said...

Hope you enjoy working on your new project. I’m sure these blocks would be too fiddly for me but I know you will make a great job sewing them all up.

BizarreQuilter said...

Great idea. Today is someday! And it's time to start!