Tuesday 18 June 2024

More Farmers Wife blocks. Well one anyway.

 Wow. This was a doozie. My mind just had trouble getting started.

Block 110

Sitting and sewing while listening to YouTube The Last Homely Quilter


Foundation paper piecing is tricky.

Once you get all the pieces stitched it’s time to join them together and getting the points to match.
So I pin on the seam points. I only push the pins in straight and don’t lay them flat.


Then I put dots of basting glue in the seam allowance


Start the seam stitching with the pins still staying straight up and only taking them out as you get to them.
Hopefully keeping the fabrics in the correct spot and points matching.


Some seams get ironed open and some to one side.
Then I use my wooden clapper to help flatten the seams better.


I don’t trim the outside of the block while I am piecing together as I am always having trouble getting them the right size. It is all pieced and ironed.


Papers removed and ironed again.


Now time to trim


And it has worked out beautifully. Yes, some points are off but I can live with it.


110 completed.


9 comments:

Maria said...

Just WOW! You did a fantastic job on block 110.

Susan Smith said...

OMG! That is amazingly accurate. Wish you lived closer for a one on one tutorial. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

Lin said...

A lot of work in that one - looks lovely. xx

loulee said...

Wow! Turned out great. Imagine doing it without the foundations! EEK!

marina said...

oh my what a task! a non patchworker friend bought me the book but I think it is going to be a read only as seeing the process of this block it has confirmed my lack of skills in this department.
your blocks are very inspiring though

Raewyn said...

Gorgeous block - and lovely fabrics! FPP certainly has its place in making blocks like this, doesn't it? A clapper seems really useful - I've seen them around a lot lately. I have a couple of heavy bookends that I currently use!!

Vireya said...

Lovely block, Jo!

I use wonder clips instead of pins when joining foundation paper sections

Susan said...

That straight pin technique is so good....been using it for a while -though I do pin and not glue before I sew

Chookyblue...... said...

Your doing great with the farmers wife.......