Thursday 6 June 2024

This month is BLUE - KAWANDI

 I have decided that I wanted to try to make a Kawandi project.

I had this gingham tablecloth from a picnic set we use. It is very light weight and thin. 

I have wanted to try the Kawandi style of stitching for a while now so I thought this would be a good chance to 1. Make a better tablecloth, 2. Try this technique and 3. Use BLUE for the RSC this month.

I pulled some scraps that had blue in them and started stitching around the edges.


When the first round had been stitched I added one layer of and older, thinner fabric for the lining to add a little more body as the gingham is thin too.


All flattened out ready for some more stitching.


Chooky had a zoom on Saturday so it was a perfect project to sit quietly and get some more stitching done.


I managed to sew around twice more. They are about 1/2” apart so will take a while to finish. I really enjoyed this big stitching. I am using up some of mums crochet cotton too. 
This project is all from stash. Already there is a good weight happening and I think I am addicted to it.

To see more BLUE projects look HERE


5 comments:

Susan said...

It will be an interesting piece when done- lots of memories.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What an interesting idea! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a fun way to use up some scraps! I haven't tried Kawandi stitching, but it's always intriguing to me. I'll enjoy seeing your progress!

Jenny said...

Kawandi stitching seems very popular in blog land.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great way to use some of your BLUE scraps AND try out a new technique!