Thursday 22 December 2016

Knitting Premie Beanies



PREMIE BABY BEANIES……. 8 PLY


I had trouble finding beanies the sizes the hospital needed. Some premie patterns actually fitted up to 3 month olds. I tried a few patterns then decided on the following. I wrote my own. 
The hospital actually wanted them longer than most patterns I found. It made them more flexible to fit the tiny, elongated heads.

If you want to help out and join me in using up some scraps to donate to the hospital please keep the colours gender specific. Doesn't have to be pink or blue but boy or girl. Think back to when we had our little bundle of joy. We wanted everyone to know if we had a boy or girl and all wrapped up in grey makes it a bit harder. Put a pink or blue stripe in it… They also prefer them started in rib instead of garter st. The band is longer so it can be folded up if a smaller beanie is required.
I made these beanies in 3 sizes. Small, Medium & Large…
Now we know yarn thicknesses vary and plys aren't always the same… keeping this in mind I used both thick and thin 8 ply. 
Thin 8 ply I used size 3.75 needles (9) and made all 3 sizes.
Thick 8 ply I used 4mm (8) needles and only made the small and medium size.

SMALL.. Cast on 34 sts 
Rib… K1, P1. to end… WORK 10 rows
Work 16 rows st st.
SHAPE CROWN
1. (K2, K2 tog) to end….. 26 sts
2. Purl
3. (K1, K2 tog) to end….. 18 sts
4. Purl
5. K2 you to end….. 9 sts.
6. Purl
Cut yarn & thread through sts on needle. Pull tight, fasten off and sew up seam.

MEDIUM..Cast on 42 sts
Rib… K1, P1. to end… WORK 12 rows
Work 24 rows st st.
SHAPE CROWN
1. (K3, K2 tog) to end…. 34 sts
2. Purl
3. (K2, K2 tog) to end….. 26 sts
4. Purl
5. (K1, K2 tog) to end….. 18 sts
6. Purl
7. K2 you to end….. 9 sts.
8. Purl
Cut yarn & thread through sts on needle. Pull tight, fasten off and sew up seam.


LARGE..Cast on 50 sts 
Rib… K1, P1. to end… WORK 14 rows
Work 34 rows st st.
SHAPE CROWN
1. (K4, K2 tog) to end…. 42 sts
2. Purl
3. (K3, K2 tog) to end…. 34 sts
4. Purl
5. (K2, K2 tog) to end….. 26 sts
6. Purl
7. (K1, K2 tog) to end….. 18 sts
8. Purl
9. K2 you to end….. 9 sts.
10. Purl
Cut yarn & thread through sts on needle. Pull tight, fasten off and sew up seam.


Once you have made a couple please feel free to add some patterns in. Garter st stripes, st st stripes, Lacey patterns, hole patterns even cables if you choose. Have fun.

As you can see they are tiny. The small size fits over a small wine glass.


Tiny premie beanies


I am adding this to a new page called PREM BABY makes to have all my little makes listed in one place.
PREM BABY makes page
If anyone wants to help out please email me for more information. 

7 comments:

Linda said...

Those beanies are just lovely. Thank you for taking the time to share your knitting patterns.

Helen said...

So kind and generous Jo thank you. Just wonderful xx

Maria said...

Sew cute! They will be much appreciated Jo...

kiwikid said...

These are so cute Jo, which hospital are you supporting?

Unknown said...

Many thanks for lovely quick patterns ,While this virus is with us , I keep busy knitting them and also crocheting them for charities,plus using
Lots of left over yarns from other projects ,thank goodness for folks like yourself sharing patterns with us ..... Jean

Jennyanne said...

Hi, I was wondering if you could email your prem beanies knitted pattern to me please.
Ito do knit for littles an angle babies. I find I'm having to alter my beanie patterns.
Yours look so lovely.
Thank you,
Jenny
Email address: jennyanne@windowslive.com

Barb said...

Thanks so much for this wonderful pattern. I used dpns so as not to have a seam